Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Just in case

Corben had his one year check up at the cardiologist when I was about 18 weeks pregnant.  Since Corben's bicuspid aortic valve defect is so mild and the defect that runs through Steve's family is so mild, to me it wasn't a big deal if the baby ended up with it.  So I asked the cardiologist the chances of new baby having it and he told me the chances were very slim, 4-5%, of having another baby with a defect.  Ha.... more to come on Hunter's history with those percentages.....
We set up a fetal echocardiogram anyway at 22 weeks, just in case.  Knowledge is power, right?  I wasn't nervous at all. I was just looking forward to seeing my baby's sweet face again.  If Hunter did end up with it, we'd have two kids going to the cardiologist instead of one.  No big deal.  Gosh I wish I could go back and smack myself.  How naive.  How incredibly naive.
Hunter's heart came back perfect.  We looked SPECIFICALLY FOR this valve defect.  It wasn't just a general fetal echo (which looks at the heart very in depth anyway), but we were on a hunt for something specific.  Perfect heart.  Perfect valve.
We weren't meant to know.  That's the only sense I can make of it.  But we still looked....just in case.
Our sweet boy from that day

No comments:

Post a Comment