Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Children's Hospital Los Angeles

On Wednesday, August 1, Steve, Hunter, and I packed up and headed west.  We had a cardiac clinic appointment on Thursday morning as well as a consultation with Dr Vaughn Starnes, who would be performing Hunter's Ross Procedure.
                                                 
We stayed at the Ronald McDonald house which was just a block away from the hospital.  We enjoyed the cooler weather and walked to dinner.  On the way, we walked past the hospital.


                                                

The next morning they did an echo on Hunter, as well as a physical assessment.  Then we met with Dr Starnes.  We sat in a little conference room and he came in, introduced himself, and sat down along with his assistant, Pam.  As soon as everyone was settled and ready to hear what he thought, Hunter let out two HUGE burps.  Like I've never heard that sound out of any baby in my life.  Thanks for breaking the ice Hunter, and reminding everyone that you weren't just a case on paper.  You were a little burping, farting 3 week old baby boy!

He was comfortable scheduling Hunter's Ross Procedure for 2 weeks from that day. The sick feeling I had when we met with the surgeon in Phoenix was not felt.  Dr. Starnes was exactly who should be operating on our son.  We both knew it was the right decision and place for Hunter.  He felt fine with us going home to wait for surgery, but I took Hunter to the cardiologist every few days to be checked on.  I had all of the signs to look for of heart failure and off we went...... see you in 2 weeks LA.

 A little lunch in the cafeteria.  This picture is crazy to me because it was the first and only time that Hunter was with me while I ate there.  I had many meals sitting right there, but this is the only time it was with my son.

More info on Dr Starnes:

and The Ross Procedure:





No comments:

Post a Comment