Tuesday, January 29, 2013

July 18, 2012

This morning was awful.  Just awful  I arrived at the NICU around 6:30 am.  Hunter hadn't been allowed to eat past midnight.  He was being given IV fluids, but it's not the same and he was a grump.  I held my 6 day old baby and rocked him for hours.
 His little arm board so that he couldn't bend his wrist that had the IV

At around 9:30, they finally came to get him.  We walked him to the cath lab and met the anesthesiologist at the door.  She had paperwork for us to sign and as Steve was signing it, I lost it.  We said our "see you laters" to Hunter and he was wheeled away from us.  I began to hyperventilate and thankfully Steve got me under control.  Everything feels wrong about letting someone take your 6 day old and put him under anesthesia so they can balloon open his bum valve.  

At about 11:30, the interventionalist who performed the procedure came out to talk to us.  In hindsight, I could see on his face that it didn't go as well as planned.  They got the valve open beautifully, but it caused moderate/severe regurgitation (or leakage) back into his left ventricle.  He seemed optimistic that it would buy us a good amount of time before Hunter would need surgery to replace the valve and with medication, he should be able to tolerate the leakage.  We would be able to see him soon.....

 My strong boy right after his procedure

 Hunter's first home
 
Hunter had to lie flat for 4 hours post the procedure because of where they went in through his groin.  After that we were able to hold him.  All was looking great, so Steve left around 7:30 to go home and I was preparing for a quiet night in the CVICU (Cardio vascular intensive care unit).
Shortly after Steve left, Hunter began to struggle.  His breathing started getting labored, his heart rate was over 200, he just wasn't doing well.
A lot of people were coming in and out of the room...hooking him up to iv medications, putting oxygen on him, looking at monitors and then leaving the room.  No one was telling me what was going on.  Clearly something was wrong but no one was communicating it with his hormonal, just had a baby less than a week ago mom, who was standing and watching in tears.  Yeah..... not going to turn this post or blog into a bash on PCH's CVICU, but I will say that I know I got the crazy mom mark on Hunter's chart.  I never knew I had that kind of fight in me.... mama bear definitely let loose.

Hunter's issue was that his little body was really struggling with the amount of leakage that his heart was left functioning with.
They got him stabilized and we would wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment