Friday, February 15, 2013

My Sweet Birthday Boy

Today is Corben's 2nd birthday.  I cannot believe he is 2.  Time really does fly.  He has turned into the sweetest little boy I ever could have asked for.  I want to dedicate this post to sharing about how amazing his little 17 month old self handled the difficult second half of 2012 we had.

I was gone from home for the majority of 2 months.  3 of those weeks I was in a different state.  I was where I knew I was needed most but I also had a sweet little boy at home being cared for by my parents, Steve's parents, my aunt.  The few times I was home, I was running Hunter to numerous doctors appointments and some of my close friends watched Corben.  He never once complained. He went with the flow, he did whatever the person caring for him  needed to do.  I don't know any 17 month old that would be able to do that.

A lot of people tell me how easy I had it with Corben.  Well you know what?  Corben is easy because he HAD to be.  Yes I was physically gone for 2 months, but when we got home, things with Hunter were VERY difficult.  Up until he turned 6 months, he basically cried all day every day.  I wish I was exaggerating.  While I was physically gone for 2 months, when I got home, Corben wasn't getting a whole lot of attention then either.  And even then, he just went with the flow, didn't complain, and got his mama time in when he could.

I will forever be grateful for the way C is.  He always knows when to do something silly to make me laugh.  He always knows when to be sweet and gentle when my patience was at its limit.  He somehow, in his little toddlerhood, healed my heart when it was totally broken for what Hunter has gone through.

Corben lights up any room he enters.  He is a born performer and entertainer and knows how to command attention (without being a brat!).  He is a non-stop talking and moving tornado.  He is all boy.  He laughs at farts and burps... always saying "'scuse me_____"(inserts name of whoever burped).  He does bouncies on the couch and usually invites Hunter, too "Hunter bouncies mama?"

But underneath the wildness of his 2 year old facade, he is sweet to the core.  He holds the gate to the stairs open for me when I am walking behind him.  He knows who everything in the house belongs to (and for the most part doesn't touch it if it isn't his....you will hear him reminding himself "that's mamas".  He snuggles under the "ban-kets" and gives kisses with a cute "muah". He puts his toys back where found them.  He loves his pals and carries Mickey with him everywhere.  He says "peeease and a thank you" when he wants something. He brings his brother toys.

Corben is a ray of sunshine.  Even though I felt guilty being away from him as much as I was, I am not sure I could have gotten through it all if I didn't have him to come home to when I finally did.  He kept me going, smiling, laughing, and loving.

Corben James is such a special little boy.  He is the best big brother to Hunter.  Hunter looks at him with huge eyes and smiles just so excited to one day soon join in.  I cannot wait for my boys to form their own relationship apart from me.  I know that Corben will always protect his brother.  In a way I feel like he has protected me in this last year.  Protected me from being too frustrated, sad, discouraged, angry about the hand that Hunter was dealt.   He reminded me what life is all about.

Happy birthday, Corben.  You are the light of my life.









These all perfectly capture his personality! Taken by my awesome friend, Kelly Benbow


No comments:

Post a Comment