Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A Breath of Fresh Air

By Saturday, August 25, Hunter was off of all drugs (other than his drug wean and lasix for fluid retention) so he was technically ready for the acute floor.  I BEGGED the rounding doctors that morning to let him stay in ICU one more day because the day had come that Steve, my mom, and Corben were flying to California to spend the weekend.  I would be gone to pick them up from the airport and would be in and out.  It would have been an awful day to move to the step down floor when I was expected to care for him 24/7.  Thankfully they had space and staff so they agreed.

Hunter was excited to see the "Dow", Daddy, and Corben

Corben rode on an airplane for the first time that morning.  As I write this, I have tears in my eyes that I missed that.  I have been there for every single one of his firsts, but not his first time on an airplane.  He was so excited and was such a good boy. 

 At the airport watching the "panes"
 Seeing my big boy in the first time in almost 2 weeks


 Kenny brought him a special toy
 Enjoying the loading dock view from our ICU room
My whole family in the same room

That weekend was exactly the boost I needed to get through the remaining time I would need to be away.  There is just something about Corben's innocence and pure uninhibited joy that absolutely filled up my soul, refreshed me, and filled up my tank for the rest of the road I had.  

 Enjoying his breakfast at RMH

We took him to the beach in Santa Monica (while my mom stayed at the hospital with Hunter).  He had so much fun at the "beeeash".  I truly enjoyed every moment I had with him that day, but again, there is just something so unnatural about enjoying a day at the beach while your other son, the other half of your life is in a hospital recovering.  But Corben absolutely loved his day and especially his funnel cake! 




 He kept saying "Hi Mickey" but then freaked when I took him up to Mickey Mouse!

 
 Car and stroller naps were all he got that weekend

 The rest of the weekend was mostly just hanging at the hospital.  They have a play area outside of the cafeteria so he enjoyed playing there.  The RMH and play room at the hospital also have of things to play with so he definitely was not bored.  I would go back to the RMH in the evening and bathe Corben and get him dressed for bed while Steve stayed with Hunter.  Then after reading to C and saying goodnight to him and my mom, I would leave and Steve would meet me halfway, then walk me back to the hospital entrance so I could stay the night with Hunter.

Corben has pretty much only ever slept in his crib.  I think a total of 3 night he has slept elsewhere.  So we weren't sure how he would do in a regular bed while sleeping with my mom.  He would try to get down but she made sure he stayed up.  He would hand her the remote and ask for Mickey, to which she would respond no.  But mostly he would roll and toss around, stand on his head, etc before finally falling asleep about an hour past his normal bedtime! Ha! She would send me pictures of him in crazy positions.  That kid is a GOOF!

An unsuccessful attempt at an RMH nap

My favorite story of the weekend is from my mom.  Corben finally fell asleep around 8:30 and was asleep in crazy positions throughout the night.  She got ready for bed and was sound asleep when at around 2am she woke to that feeling that someone was looking at her.  She opened her eyes to see my 18 month old son leaning over her, his face practically touching hers with his little finger in front of his mouth, saying "Shhhhhhhh Shhhhhhhhh Shhhhhhhh"  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! She told him to go back to sleep and he laid down and did!  Oh my...... that story kills me!

Having people that you love with you while going through one of life's most difficult times is amazing.  That weekend I felt whole again.  I could physically hold Corben and touch Hunter at the same time.  My arms ached to feel both of them at the same time.  

I will be writing a post dedicated to Corben and how AMAZING he was during all of this, on Friday, on his birthday, but let me just say that that boy is one of the biggest joys in my life.  His presence that weekend made me feel whole again.  He made me feel like there was hope and a light at the end of this dark tunnel I had been currently living in.  He was my breath of fresh air and I will forever be grateful of the way his sweet and innocent personality healed and rejuvinated me that weekend.  

No comments:

Post a Comment